This article is being posted Tuesday, due to the fact that I will be out of town starting Thursday. Thus, everything gets bumped up a day.
We will begin with an “I told you so”. See what happens when you kick field goals? David Buehler was 2-2 this past week; his long from 49 yards. Wade passed on the opening drive. At first, I was upset at passing on a 47-yard field goal, but after some retrospective, I understand his idea that Dallas was trying to grab some early offensive momentum. For an offense that had struggled coming into the game, not a terrible idea early on. I still would have kicked it.
We will continue with another “I told you so”. In a Facebook war several weeks ago with an unnamed Cowboys detractor from Kansas, I made the argument that Houston going all out against a Dallas team that was going through the motions would have negative effects for Houston when the two teams met in Week 3, while the hater was blabbing about how the offense couldn’t move the ball. Three games into the season, Dallas has the fifth most yards of any team in the NFL and brought forth my preseason prediction that they would dismantle Houston .
Speaking of Houston , I have not been that impressed with this team. They had all offseason to prepare for Indy and then barely scraped by a Washington team that can’t seem to move the ball. I still expect them to finish around 9-7
Something that I haven’t heard anyone talk about was the “Barber” factor in Dallas gameplan. Marion carried the ball 17 times, while Felix Jones only got 7 carries. This is where I think Dallas needs to be. Nobody is going to confuse Marion Barber with Chris Johnson, but I have always felt that Barber is the best all around running back Dallas has (receiving, rushing, blocking). I was very impressed with his play. Even though he only gained 55 yards, he showed us that bruising brand of football that was so prevalent in 2007 and more importantly, got the yards when they were needed. Felix is not an every down back. He should be getting between 7-11 rushes per game, primarily in the 2nd and 3rd quarters. I would like to see Tashard get more carries as the 3rd down back, but I am not sure how possible that is.
Who is the most unknown player on the Cowboys active roster: L.P. LaDouceur, who handles the long-snapping. Now that is the career to have.
The most impressive Cowboys through three weeks: Doug Free. He has yet to give up a sack despite going against Julius Peppers, Brian Orakpo, and Mario Williams
Mike Jenkins might be the best on-ball defender in this league, besides Champ Bailey and Charles Woodson. Jenkins has the uncanny ability to turn and play the ball and not the receiver, something that few cornerbacks do these days. In an age where corners are taught not to find the ball, but to create a barrier between the receiver and the ball, its good to see a corner who still has what I consider to be the proper technique. His speed and hands are also great assets. When was the last time anyone saw him drop an interception?
What a game by the Wide Receivers. Roy Williams made me feel glad about talking him over the first two weeks, as his progression within this system continues to show. Williams has been great on third down for Dallas this year and has yet to drop a single pass. On the flip side, Dez Bryant may have the softest hands of any receiver I have ever seen. He is a lot like Michael Irvin in the way he positions his body in relation to the ball. This allows him to cradle more passes in his arms, something Irvin was quite excellent at, as well as keeping the defender away from the ball. He still has a ways to go, not recognizing the rule difference between the NCAA and NFL in regards to being pushed out of bounds. Let’s also give it up for Miles Austin, who only had two catches. In years past we would be hearing about how is Garrett going to find ways to get Terrell Owens the ball, but not with Austin . His patience and humility are astounding in today’s NFL. Lastly, we had a Sam Hurd sighting. No, not one of the million tackles he seems to make on special teams each game, but rather an excellent slant route on a key third down conversion for the Cowboys on their 3rd Quarter touchdown drive.
Penalties are still an issue. The only difference Sunday was that Dallas was able to compensate for them with a prolific and balanced attack.
Since the upcoming week is a bye, my article next week will be a list or two of some sort. I will also write a preview for what to look for in the Tennessee game, which I may start making a regular part of this article.
No comments:
Post a Comment